Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Thinking Processes Part 1

Nessesary Condition & Sufficient Cause Thinking
The most basic part of the TOC thinking processes is the cause and effect relationships found all around us. These relationship are thought of in terms of nessesary conditions (in order to achieve [B], I must [A] ) and Sufficient Cause (unless we have [A], it will be impossible to achieve [B]). In order for this to be clear in further discussion, we will present this graphically with a couple examples from scripture. A simple way to read these representations is: if [necessary condition] then [objective].

Exo 8:1 And the LORD spake unto Moses, Go unto Pharaoh, and say unto him, Thus saith the LORD, Let my people go, that they may serve me.
Exo 23:33b For if you serve their gods, it surely will be a snare to you.

In both of the examples we have GOD speaking directly, using cause and effect logic. Of course most readers will recognise at this point that not every cause and effect relationship we hear is true. For this purpose we will no look at the “hidden” assuptions in every cause effect relationship, and the methods of examing if a given relationship is legitamate.

Every cause and effect relationship we percieve has one or more underlying assumptions. In the diagram above, these assuptions are all located in the arrows. The following are two of the formats Scheinkopf for determining the assumptions:

In order to achieve [objective], I must [necessary condition] because [assumption]
Unless we have [necessary condition], it will be impossible to achieve [objective], because [assumption]
In simplier terms: If [necessary condition] the [objective], because [assumption].

Below is the format for showing an assumption within a sufficient cause diagram, along with an example from scripture.

Gen 3:10 And he said, I heard Your voice in the garden, and I was afraid, because I am naked, and I hid myself.

You can also look at the examples in figure 1 and determine the assumptions for those relationships.
To be continued...

1 comment:

Mrs Zeke said...

Welcome.
I have no idea what you are trying to say...but don't worry I am not hard to confuse. Keep posting and I will get it someday.